Re: Squares and circles

Duncan Chiu (dchiu@idt.net)
Sat, 01 Mar 1997 17:37:46 -0500

Patrick Carney wrote:

> Dear Lou,
> Unfortunately, my computer does not seem to be able to handle the
> material you forwarded. But I tried your problem as a calculus problem (too
> area under x^2+y^2 = 100 and over y = 5 from x = 5 to x = 5sqr(3) and then
> multiplied that by 4. I got 100(PI/3 + 1 - sqr(3)) or to those who are into
> approximations somewhere near 31.5198. How does that match what you guys got?
>
> As ever,
> Bro. Pat Carney

Greeings to all!

The area we got was 31.5147. But yours is close enough. There is a neat
geometric solution to this problem. It would be laborious to show it
here. If I have time to do it via e-mail, I will do it. Otherwise we can
look at it either at Andy's (I dare you to join me there any time,) or
at Rutgers on 3/22.

duncan