DIMACS Workshop on Facing the Challenge of Infectious Diseases in Africa: The Role of Mathematical Modeling
Presented under the auspices of the
Special Focus on Computational and Mathematical Epidemiology.
- Dominic Clemence, North Carolina AT&T State University, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wayne Getz, UC Berkeley, email@example.com
- Abba Gumel, University of Manitoba, firstname.lastname@example.org
- John Hargrove, SACEMA Director, email@example.com
- Edward Lungu, University of Botswana, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fred Roberts, DIMACS, email@example.com
This workshop is jointly organized with African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS),
South African Centre for
Epidemiological Modelling and Analysis (SACEMA) and University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg.
This workshop is jointly sponsored by:
Workshop Location on the WITS Campus
The workshop will be held in the Sports Administration Building - the West Campus shown in the south west corner of the West Campus map.
One need merely find the building, which is the only building in a separate enclave of the campus with its own security check point / gate, since the workshop will be taking over most of the space in the building.
It is best to use the vehicle entrance for that section, i.e. not to walk from another part of campus.
University of the Witwatersrand website
for Johannesburg/South Africa info:
- Recommended Hotel:
The Sunnyside Hotel (they provide transport to and from Wits by shuttle)
The hotel is centrally located providing the business executive with easy access to the Johannesburg CBD,
Rosebank, Sandton and the Johannesburg International Airport.
Airport Shuttle - The Sunnyside has an airport shuttle service to collect guests. The cost is R220 per person but if there are more than 1 it is R50 extra per person. eg:
1 person = R220
2 persons = R270 (R135 each)
3 persons = R320 (R107 each) etc
A call needs to be made to the travel desk and arrange the transportation with them - flight arrival times etc. When making hotel reservations, ask for the travel desk and they will coordinate shuttles.
Bed and breakfast:
R560 per person (Wits special Rate)
R700 for 2 persons sharing
- Milpark Holiday Inn: Walking distance to Wits.
Garden Court Milpark Hotel is conveniently located close to major shopping malls with an array of designer, curio shops and restaurants
Bed and breakfast: R390 per person sharing, R240 single supplement
- Braamfontein hotel (Parktonian): Walking distance to Wits - approx 3 blocks.
- Parktonian Hotel is located close to the business district just a few minutes away from Witwatersrand University.
bed and breakfast: R370 per person sharing, R170 single supplement
Specific suggestions for B&B's people can contact if they wish to explore:
Contacting the Center
Document last modified on September 1, 2006.