Fwd: The Concrete Wheel

IraFrdmn@aol.com
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 11:21:17 -0400 (EDT)

I think that I know the answer but I will check and wait until others have
time to think about it.
---------------------
Forwarded message:
From: DADKB@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Dan Davis)
To: RFORMAN639@AOL.COM (Ron Forman)
CC: irafrdmn@AOL.COM (Ira Friedman), ejf2@acpub.duke.edu (Eric Forman),
fsawin@hypercon.com (Fred Sawin), thompson@utaphy.ph.utexas.edu (J.C.
Thompson), btimmer@isi.edu (Brenda Timmerman), jan@extant.com (Jan Smith),
jackarn@juno.com (Jack Arnow), F.Pleiter@phys.rug.nl (Frits Pleiter)
Date: 97-04-30 05:10:33 EDT

THE CONCRETE WHEEL
[This problem is proposed by Victor J. Katz in a book review in
the College Mathematics Journal, May 1997.]

Suppose you are sitting in a ground level room, facing a square
floor-to-ceiling window that is 20 feet on a side. A huge solid con-
crete wheel, 100 miles in diameter, is rolling down the steet and is
about to pass right in front of the window, from left to right. The
center of the wheel is moving to the right at 100 miles per hour. What
is the view, from inside the room, as the wheel passes by?