Re: quickie reply

Bill Garrett (bgarrett@dimacs.rutgers.edu)
Thu, 27 Mar 1997 00:43:49 -0500

Chuck Biehl wrote:

> . . . <snip> . . .
> and I would like your reactions.
>
> Here are a couple more for today:
> 1. The interstate highway system requires that the be one mile of
> straight highway for every five miles total to allow for use as
> airstrips or other emergencies.

If true, it's just another example of failed government policy. For
example, here are some likely problems in some of our DIMACS states for
a pilot making a forced landing:
In Florida he/she couldn't land at a speed fast enough to merge with
existing traffic;
In New Jersey and California he/she couldn't find space enough to fit
into existing traffic;
In Iowa and especially South Dakota, given a successful forced landing,
he/she would likely die of exposure anyway before they were found by any
existing traffic!

> 2. Many hamsters only blink one eye at a time.

Makes them rather flirtatious, doesn't it!

> 3. In every episode of Seinfeld there is a Superman somewhere.

Wouldn't know. Teachers don't have time to watch TV, do they?

Bill