Re: plagiarism

scot@flume.cs.dartmouth.edu
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 13:53:42 -0400 (EDT)

Chuck Biehl wrote:

> This isn't really a math thing but a potentially hot issue where I am.
> Suppose a student does a research paper for a teacher and submits it.
> Then suppose another teacher gives a similar assignment for which the
> same research is appropriate. Say the student makes appropriate changes
> to the paper and submits it to the second teacher WITH THAT TEACHER'S
> FULL KNOWLEDGE OF WHAT THE STUDENT HAS DONE AS WELL AS HIS/HER
> PERMISSION TO DO SO. There is absolutely no intention to deceive anyone.
>
> Is this plagiarism?

At Dartmouth it would not be called plagiarism. The section on the
Academic Honor Principle defines three categories of violation:
Examinations, Plagiarism, and "Use of the same work in more than one
course." This third section states:
_________________

Submission of the same work in more than one course without the prior
approval of all professors responsible for the courses violates the
Academic Honor Principle.

The intent of this rule is that a student should not receive academic
credit more than once for the same work product without permission. The
rule is not intended to regulate repeated use of an ideas or a body of
learning developed by the student, but rather the identical formulation
and presentation of that idea. Thus the same paper, computer program,
research project or results, or other academic work product should not
be submitted in more than one course (whether in identical or rewritten
form) without first obtaining the permission of all professors responsible
for the courses involved. Students with questions about the application
of this rule in a specific case shoud seek faculty advice.
__________________

Thus at Dartmouth this

1) Would not be called plagiarism.

2) Would be allowed with permission of the teachers. A student here
would be expected to get the permission of the FIRST teacher as well as
the second.

It sounds like you need to establish a clear guideline. In the absence
of some statement like the one above and with the permission of the
second teacher I would think that the student should not be faulted for
academic dishonesty.

Scot Drysdale