Donglai's Summer Project
- We are interested the behavior of electrons inside a magnetic
or photon field.
- The spin states of an electron can be used to store information.
Knowing how fast these spin states decay in background radiation is
essential in designing future quantum storage devices.
- A pure quantum system is described by wave function and its
time evolution governed by the Schrodinger equation.
The Schrodinger equation is well studied and
many methods exist for solving it.
- However, electrons inside a magnetic or photon field are not in
pure states thus cannot be described by a wave function. We use density
- The time evolution of a density matrix is governed by the
Liouville equation. My work is focused on solving the Liouville equation
for system of two electrons in a magnetic or photon field.