DIMACS Graduate Student Awards Page - Student-Initiated Research Projects
Local Graduate Students (Rutgers and Princeton) are encouraged to
propose student initiated projects and apply for funding.
Applications for projects or jobs you come up with should indicate an
activity of DIMACS
to which you would like to tie your project, for
example one of the special foci or one of the educational programs at
the center, or indicate why you think DIMACS and you will benefit from
the project or job you propose. We usually announce competitions for these projects in November (for December/January projects) and April (for Summer projects). Funds available will support a research project by providing modest pay or books or software.
Preference will be given to projects that are related to current DIMACS Special Focus topics and projects. DIMACS Research projects include: Sensor management for nuclear detection (http://dydan.rutgers.edu/Research/Nuclear); Algorithms for port security (http://dimacs.rutgers.edu/Workshops/PortofEntry/); Algorithmic decision theory ; Data analytics (http://ccicada.rutgers.edu) ; and projects related to our new Command, Control, and Interoperability Center for Advanced Data Analysis (CCICADA) (http://ccicada.rutgers.edu). Applications in other areas will be accepted and awards will be made as funding permits.
Application deadline: For Winter 2009-2010 awards, applications
are due no later than Wednesday, November 18, 2009.
Please use the attached form to submit an application.
We also have opportunities for non-local students (outside Princeton and Rutgers) to enable them to participate in the life of the center. Non-local students can participate through our Graduate Student Fellowship Program for Non-local Students and through Graduate Student Stipends to Attend Workshops.
If you have any questions about this program, please contact Isha Deen-Cole at DIMACS
- DEADLINE: For Winter 2009-2010 awards, applications are due
no later than Wednesday, November 18, 2009
- HOW AND WHERE TO SUBMIT APPLICATIONS:
- Please submit the following form and have a faculty recommendation
sent by email (PDF highly preferred, but Postscript or plain ASCII also accepted) to:
- Please submit an unofficial transcript by mail to
- Graduate Student Projects
- DIMACS Center
- 96 Frelinhuysen Road
- Rutgers University
- Piscataway, NJ 08854-8018
- or Fax to 732-445-5932
- Attention: Graduate Student Projects
Application for DIMACS Winter 2009-2010 Graduate Student Program
- Email address:
- Mail Address:
- Telephone Number:
- Degree Program: (e.g. MS in Computer Science at Rutgers, PhD program at Princeton.)
- When do You Expect to Get a Degree?
- Faculty Advisor (if you have one):
- Research Project Advisor (if different from Faculty Advisor):
- Country of Citizenship:
- Gender (optional):
- Position Currently Held (TA, GA, etc.):
- Amount of Support you are Seeking:
- Research related to (list Special Focus Program):
Project or Job you propose. Describe what you would do, why you are
qualified for the project or job, and how you would benefit from it. Tell
us which DIMACS activity it is related to (for example, the Special Focus on
Computation and Socio-Economic Sciences), or how DIMACS would benefit from it.
If you are Applying to Work on a Project or Job, tell us for how long
you would like to work on it and when. Work is to take place in Winter
Recommendation: A short email message of recommendation from a DIMACS
member or other scientist is required. The message should be sent to
the Applications Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. The recommender should indicate a willingness to mentor or supervise you.
Name of recommender:
- Note: those who win awards from DIMACS for research work should expect to get involved in the activities of the center, publish results of their research in the DIMACS technical report series, acknowledge DIMACS support in their papers and theses, and provide reports to the center about their accomplishments.
- Send the completed application form via e-mail to the Applications Coordinator at email@example.com. Also, please mail or fax a copy of your transcript to Applications Coordinator (DIMACS, Rutgers University, 96 Frelinghuysen Road, Piscataway, NJ 08854-8018, fax number: 732-445-5932), indicating this is in support of your application for the DIMACS Graduate Student Program.
All participating institutions are equal opportunity/affirmative action
Contacting the Center
Document last modified on November 10, 2009.